Another week has come to an end and I felt like having something fun for dinner, I’ve been craving nachos for a while now but wanted to put a fun take on them. Well do I have the recipe for you!
This recipe is perfect for a week night meal or more meal prep for dinner or lunches during the week. You can bake your potatoes in advance or hot on the day. Either way it does not jeopardise the flavour in any way! This was such a cheap and affordable dinner only using 200 grams of mince, can tomatoes and a can of chilli beans it bulks it out so far and makes 4 huge baked potatoes or 6-8 small ones, perfect for a small or large family eating on a budget. One of the best things about this dinner is you don’t really need anything else to go with it I must say if I had a side salad like id planned I wouldn’t have finished this beauty of a meal.
Twice baked mexican potatoes with tomato and jalapeno salsa and sour cream
Oven baked potato split in half and topped with my special mince chilli beans, tomato jalapeno salsa and a generous dollop of creamy sour cream. This was a fiesta of flavour in my mouth!!
4 large potatoes or 6 medium
1 onion, small dice
4 garlic cloves, fine dice
1 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. fried oregano
1 can mild chilli beans
1 can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper
1 cup cheese, grated
2 tomatoes, chunky dice
1/2 red onion, fine dice
1/4 green capsicum. small dice
1 tbsp. jalapeno, fine chop*
1 lime zest and juice
3 tbsp. coriander, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
sour cream to serve
- You will need 4 baked potatoes either use this slow cooker recipe or follow the steps below. The potatoes can be cooked the day before to reduce time the next day.
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees.
- Wash and remove any blemishes from potatoes wrap individually in tin foil add a small amount of oil and good pinch of salt to each parcel.
- Bake for 1 hour until tender and knife slides through easily.
- While your potatoes are baking its time to make the salsa.
- Combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl and toss, taste to check the seasoning adjust if necessary. Set aside, salsa is best left to sit it develops the flavour.
- Heat heavy based fry pan over a medium to low heat, add oil followed by onions sweat for 2 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, coriander and cinnamon stir well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and add mince, once brown add chili beans and tomatoes. Stir well to combine and drop the heat to a gentle simmer for 15 minutes until mixture has reduced and turned glossy.
- remove potatoes from oven open tin foil and roll back to create a parcel around the potato. Cut a cross in the top of the potato and push to spread open.
- Fill split potato with chilli mince mix followed by generous amount of grated cheese.
- Baked for 2-25 minutes at 180 degrees until golden brown.
- Remove from tin foil and serve with a huge dollop of sour cream and tomato jalapeno salsa.
Serves: 4-6 people
*Jalapenos; i brought a jar and just drained of some liquid and chopped them up seeds and all.
Leave a Reply