Beef Sausage, Bean and Fennel Casserolette
Perfect to a cold night this tasty meal with have them at the table in no time at all. Moist beef sausages cooked in flavorful sauce, with beans and fennel straight from the garden couldn’t think of a better way to spend my Sunday than catching up with my friends over a comforting warming dish. I served mine with a side of creamy mashed potato, blanched beach spinach and buttery carrots. Lets just say there’s no leftover for tomorrow it was that good!
8-9 beef sausages
2 tbsp. oil
1 can four bean mix, rinse off brine
1 onion, medium dice
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 medium size fennel bulb, core removed and sliced*
2 tsp malt vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1.5 tbsp. worchester sauce
2 tsp. sugar
salt & pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Find a medium size casserole dish with a lid, if you don’t have a lid a deep oven proof dish with tin foil to cover will do the trick.
- Rinse four bean mix in a sieve with cold water to remove the bring they were in, place half the beans in the bottom of the casserole dish and reserve the other half for the top.
- Brown sausages over a medium heat with half the oil, once golden add to the casserole dish.
- In the pan which you cooked the sausages, heat 1 tbsp. oil add onion, garlic and fennel cook for around 3-4 minutes until starting to brown.
- add stock, mustard, sugar, Worcester sauce, salt and pepper, cook for 2 minutes and add to the top of your casserole dish.
- Place the lid or tin foil over the casserole dish and bake for 50 minutes.
- Serve alongside some creamy mashed potatoes and your favourite greens.
I got my beautiful fresh fennel bulb from the Tokoroa Community Garden, open Monday through Sunday 8.3am until 12 noon.
Whats for dinner in your house tomorrow night, this would be perfect!!
Leave a Reply