By the time Friday rolls in lets all be fair we’ve all really had enough of the weekend and the last thing we want to do once coming home from a long week at work is cook dinner. So I thought how perfect a tasty slow cooker meal you can chuck on in the morning before heading off to work and come home to a virtually completed dinner. You just have to bake your potatoes and thicken the stew when you get home.
Beef, Bacon and Chickpea Stew with White Wine and Tomatoes
900 gm blade steak, fat removed and 3cm dice
4 rashers streaky bacon, sliced into large batons
3 carrots, peeled and 2 cm dice
1 red onion, medium dice
3 garlic cloves, dice
3 tbsp. Worcester sauce
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup beef stock
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can chickpeas, rinsed
2 tbsp. cranberries
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. fresh rosemary
1 tsp. fresh marjoram
salt and pepper
2 tbsp. cornflour, mixed with equal parts water
- Turn your slow cooker onto low.
- Brown onions, bacon and garlic in fry pan over a medium heat with half the oil, add to slow cooker.
- Pour in half the wine and deglaze the pan add this to the slow cooker.
- Season beef and heat renaming oil in pan, brown beef both sides add to slow cooker, deglaze with remaining wine add to slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to slow cooker and stir.
- Place on lid and cook for 7-8 hours on low or 4 on high.
- Stir in cornflour mix and cook for 15minutes turn to keep warm until you choose to serve.
- Serve with a baked or mashed potato and a dollop of sour cream.