As winter looms closer and the weather out side isn’t the nicest, its great too come home to a dish already cooked and the house smelling amazing. On a cold and busy day last week I pulled out the slow cooker and created this tender slow cooked meal. Rich beef alongside naturally sweet kumara and carrots with a flavorful gravy. This is an affordable recipe and I hope you try it out, its one that’s worth having in your recipe collection.
Kumara and Beef Slow Cooker
1 cup carrot, rinse leave skin on and 2cm dice
2 cup kumara, rinse leave skin on and 3cm dice
2 small red onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
1 orange zest and juice
1 tbsp. fresh thyme
1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
850gm beef blade steak, remove fat and cut 3cm dice
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
4 tbsp. Worchester sauce
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 1/2 tbsp. cornflour
- Turn on slow cooker to either low or high, check the bottom of the recipe for cooking times and temp.
- Heat a heavy based fry pan over a medium heat at 1 tbsp. of oil followed by onions, garlic, thyme and rosemary. plus a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once the onion mix has started to brown add zest and juice of the orange and tip into the base of your slow cooker.
- Add stock to the hot fry pan, this will deglaze it and remove all the tasty flavour stuck to it. Add this to the slow cooker.
- Remove fat from beef and cut into 3cm chunks.
- In a snap lock bag combine the flour, salt and pepper mix well. Add diced beef and coat with the flour mix. (give it a good shake)
- Dust of excess flour this will burn when browning.
- Heat fry pan to a medium heat add 1/2 tbsp. oil and 1/2 tbsp. butter, add beef and brown both sides add to the slow cooker. ( I did this in 2 batches so the beef didn’t stew.)
- Add Worchester sauce and balsamic vinegar to the slow cooker give it a light stir, place the lid on and cook.
- Combine corn flour with 2 tbsp. cold water stir and make a slurry, add this to your slow cooker in the last 30 minutes to thicken up the sauce into a glistening gravy.
- Turn slow cooker onto warm while you cook either some rice, mashed potatoes or serve with dumplings and your fave green veges.
Ive served mine with a side of brown rice, red quinoa and homemade walnut parsley pesto.
Cooking times and Temps.
Low – Cook for 8 hours
High – Cook for 4 hours
I hope you all enjoy this recipe!