Sticky Mint Malt Red Onions
I was thinking the other day what could be a fun take on the classic mint sauce. I came up with the idea of caramelizing red onions and adding malt vinegar, garlic and fresh mint. This created a sticky delicious flavour packed journey when you taste. Sticky slightly sweet red onions with bursts of mint and tartness from the malt vinegar creating the perfect topping for my succulent lamb neck chops.
2 red onions, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, fine dice
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp. malt vinegar
2 tbsp. fresh mint, fine chop
- Heat a small pot over a medium heat.
- Add oil followed by red onions, brown and sweat for 5 minutes stirring often.
- Add garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. The onions may start to stick don’t worry keep stirring.
- Add malt vinegar, sugar, mint and a good seasoning of salt and pepper. Turn the heat to low and leave to cook on a low heat for 10 minutes until onions are sticky and tender.
- Serve hot or cold, will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Makes: 1/2 cup
Check back later on how to cook the perfect lip smacking good lamb chops!
Leave a Reply