The classic deviled sausage, I was brought up with my mother cooking this delicious meal a lot during my childhood and still to date.
Here i have created my own recipe for deviled sausage, with tart apple, tomato notes with whole grain mustard and a zing of balsamic vinegar and a hint of spice from the cayenne.
Heres the recipe I hope you enjoy making it and eating it as much as I do!
Robyn’s Deviled Sausages
8-9 beef or pork sausages
2 apples, cored and sliced
2 onions, medium dice
3 garlic cloves, grated
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp. worcester sauce
2 tbsp tomato chutney
2 tbsp. tomato sauce
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp whole grain mustard
salt & pepper
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tbsp. cornflour, combine with water
2 tbsp. cold water
- If using oven method pre-heat to 180 degrees or pre-heat slow cooker to desired setting. See notes below*
- Heat oil and brown onions, garlic over a medium heat, remove and add to your slow cooker or oven dish.
- Brown sausages 2 minutes each side, add to your chosen dish.
- Combine brown sugar, balsamic, worcester sauce, tomato chutney, tomato sauce, soy, mustard and salt and pepper. Stir well, add to the 1 cup of vegetable stock and into your sausage, onion mix.
- If using oven method cover your roasting dish with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove tin foil and stir in cornflour mixture bake for a further 15 minutes with no tin foil. For slow cooker steps check below in notes.
- Serve alongside your favourite greens and mashed potato or rice.
I’ve served mine with some creamy garlic polenta and sautéed lemon sliver beat with red capsicum.
For fast slow cooker: Cook on high for 1 hour and 45 minutes then add cornflour mix, stir well and cook for a further 15minutes, change to keep warm until ready to serve.
For long slow cookery, pre-heat to low and cook for 3 hours and 45 minutes add cornflour mix, stir well and cook for a further 15 minutes.