I was down at the farmers market on Saturday and after deciding I was feeling like soup, since snow was forecasted for Sunday afternoon. The Waitaki Bacon stall caught my attention by their rib racks but that wasn’t what I needed. I was after some pork bones which is a great base for my soup. I have my pork bones next stop was for my vegetables; Leek, Agria Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts are the star vegetables in this soup.
I was thinking something with a nice depth of flavour and comforting warmth I decided on making a broth based soup with some humble dough boy’s to soak up all the delicious flavour, tender pork with soft potatoes, leeks and brussel sprouts. This is truly a great cold autumn day soup, and the flavour improves as it sits over night, if it can last that long!
Leek, Pork Bone and Soup with GF Dough Boy’s
1 kg pork bones, plain or smoked
5 Ltr. Water
4 Stock cubes
4 tbsp. oil
2 onions, large dice
10 garlic cloves, rough chop
1 bunch parsley stalls and all
500 g. brussel sprouts, sliced
1/2 cup. white wine
5 large agria potatoes, peeled and 3-4cm dice
2 tbsp. fresh thyme
salt and pepper
1 cup Gluten Free Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
4 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- In large 7 liter pot place pork bones, stock cubes and water, bring to a boil.
- Slice leek lengths ways in half, wash to remove any dirt and slice into chunks. (see pic below) Cut parsley stalks into finger nail length pieces, set aside from leaves.
- Heat a heavy based fry pan over medium to high heat add 1 tbsp. of oil followed by the onions, brown and cook until translucent.
- Add parsley stalks and garlic, cook for a further 2 minutes. Add this to the boiling pork bones.
- In same fry pan add another tablespoon of oil and fry leeks, add this to the pot, then fry brussel sprouts.
- After browning lightly, deglaze with wine, stir well and add to your pot.
- Turn your pot to a simmer, add diced potato followed by a lid and cook for 1 hour on lowest temp.
- Remove pork bones, allow to cool slightly and shred meat and season. Add back to the simmering soup.
- Taste,check and adjust the seasoning. Add chopped parsley leaves and thyme. ( I had to add a good amount of both salt and pepper to this soup.)
- Give it a good old stir and leave to simmer for a further hour, stirring occasionally.
- Combine all dry ingredients for dough boys in a bowl, with parsley and stir co combine. Add milk and stir well, add butter and stir just to incorporate.
- Remove lid from your pot and put dessert spoon size amounts of dough boy mix into your simmering soup. (I made about 7)
- Replace the lid and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Ready to eat!
- Place a dough boy in each serving bowl, followed by soup. (make sure you dig to the bottom of the pot that’s where all the goodies are hiding!
*If you don’t want gluten-free dough boy’s just substitute gf flour for normal.
Leave a Reply