With snow on the forecast and and the fire going I thought nothing better than a roast, however this time I wanted to change it up a little and try a pot roast pork.
One of the local supermarkets was selling pork shoulder for a bargain $6.99 a kg how could I not partake in that bargain!!
The Italian Herb Blend by Equagold was a perfect rub for this pork shoulder! Notes of fennel and oregano went perfectly with pork and lemon brussel sprouts, it added a good sharp tasty note to this comforting dish.
Italian Rubbed Pot Roast Pork Shoulder with braised agria potatoes,red onion and a side of garlic lemon brussel sprouts
Pot Roast Pork
1-1.5kg pork shoulder
3 tbsp Equagold Italian Blend
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp flaky sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cracked pepper
2 large agria potatoes, washed
1 1/2 red onion, cut into large wedges
2 garlic cloves, rough chop
2 cups vegetable stock
Garlic Lemon Brussel Sprouts
8 brussel sprouts, cut into quarters
1/8 cup water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp butter
1/2 lemon zest and juice
1 tbsp chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degress.
- In small bowl combine oil, salt, pepper and Italian herb seasoning, stir to combine, pour over the pork shoulder and massage in. (you could marinate overnight if you had time for extra flavour)
- Heat medium size fry pan, add 1 tsp oil and red onion, season and add to the bottom of casserole dish that has a lid or you can use tin foil.
- Cut Agria Potatoes into Large wedges with skin on, brown slightly and add to casserole dish.
- Brown pork roast both sides around 3 minutes, sear in all the flavour and juices, add to the potatoes with chopped garlic and vegetable stock.
- Place on the lid or tin foil and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove pork from oven, take the fat of and shred the pork, spoon over juices from the casserole dish about 1/2 cup. (keep some juices to spoon over your finished dish.)
- Heat medium frypan over medium to high heat, add 1 tsp oil and brussel sprouts , brown slightly and add water. Simmer for 2 minutes, add butter,lemon zest, juice, salt and pepper. Finish with parsley.
- Place potatoes on your plate followed by onions, brussel sprouts and topped with the star Italian shredded pot roast pork, spoon over some casserole juices and serve!
Serves:1-4 ( 1 potato per person)
Cut onion into large wedges.
Combine oil, salt, pepper and Equagold’s Italian Blend Seasoning.
Rub over pork and massage in for a minute.
Cut potatoes into large wedges. Leaving the skin on holds them together during the braise.
Brown onion followed by potatoes.
Brown pork both sides add to casserole dish. Deglaze frypan with vegetable stock and add to casserole dish, place on lid and cook for 2 hours.
Shred pork shoulder.
Cut brussel sprouts into quarters.
Heat medium fry pan over medium to high heat, add 1 tso oil lightly brown sprouts, add water and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, garlic, lemon zest, juice and butter.
Serve potatoes topped with onions, brussel sprouts then the star shredded pot roast pork, spoon over casserole juices and serve.