I was down at the farmers market on Saturday and after deciding I was feeling like soup, since snow was forecasted for Sunday afternoon. The Waitaki Bacon stall caught my attention by their rib racks but that wasn’t what I needed. I was after some pork bones which is a great base for my soup. I have my pork bones next stop was for my vegetables; Leek, Agria Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts are the star vegetables in this soup.
I was thinking something with a nice depth of flavour and comforting warmth I decided on making a broth based soup with some humble dough boy’s to soak up all the delicious flavour, tender pork with soft potatoes, leeks and brussel sprouts. This is truly a great cold autumn day soup, and the flavour improves as it sits over night, if it can last that long!
Leek, Pork Bone and Soup with GF Dough Boy’s
1 kg pork bones, plain or smoked
5 Ltr. Water
4 Stock cubes
4 tbsp. oil
2 onions, large dice
10 garlic cloves, rough chop
1 bunch parsley stalls and all
500 g. brussel sprouts, sliced
1/2 cup. white wine
5 large agria potatoes, peeled and 3-4cm dice
2 tbsp. fresh thyme
salt and pepper
1 cup Gluten Free Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
4 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- In large 7 liter pot place pork bones, stock cubes and water, bring to a boil.
- Slice leek lengths ways in half, wash to remove any dirt and slice into chunks. (see pic below) Cut parsley stalks into finger nail length pieces, set aside from leaves.
- Heat a heavy based fry pan over medium to high heat add 1 tbsp. of oil followed by the onions, brown and cook until translucent.
- Add parsley stalks and garlic, cook for a further 2 minutes. Add this to the boiling pork bones.
- In same fry pan add another tablespoon of oil and fry leeks, add this to the pot, then fry brussel sprouts.
- After browning lightly, deglaze with wine, stir well and add to your pot.
- Turn your pot to a simmer, add diced potato followed by a lid and cook for 1 hour on lowest temp.
- Remove pork bones, allow to cool slightly and shred meat and season. Add back to the simmering soup.
- Taste,check and adjust the seasoning. Add chopped parsley leaves and thyme. ( I had to add a good amount of both salt and pepper to this soup.)
- Give it a good old stir and leave to simmer for a further hour, stirring occasionally.
- Combine all dry ingredients for dough boys in a bowl, with parsley and stir co combine. Add milk and stir well, add butter and stir just to incorporate.
- Remove lid from your pot and put dessert spoon size amounts of dough boy mix into your simmering soup. (I made about 7)
- Replace the lid and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Ready to eat!
- Place a dough boy in each serving bowl, followed by soup. (make sure you dig to the bottom of the pot that’s where all the goodies are hiding!
*If you don’t want gluten-free dough boy’s just substitute gf flour for normal.
Good quality vegetables for the base of our soup.
Fresh local pork bones.
Add water and stock cubes, bring to the boil.
Remove outer leaves, wash well.
Slice brussel sprout.
Slice parsley stalks.
Brown diced onion.
Add garlic and parsley stalks.
Slice leek in half length wise and then in half again and dice.
Lightly brown leeks.
Brown brussel sprouts and deglaze with wine.
Add to the soup, reduce heat to simmer.
Peel and dice potatoes 3cm large dice.
Add to the pot.
After 1 hour remove, bones from soup and slightly cool.
Shred the meat from the bones, season and return to simmering soup.
Add fresh thyme.
Followed by chopped parsley.
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and add parsley.
Stir in milk.
Add melted butter and mix to just combine.
Your mixture will look like this.
Add dessert spoonfuls to your simmering soup.
Ready to eat.
Leek, Pork Bone and Potato soup with GF Dough Boy’s.