We brought a large crown pumpkin for $3 the other week and I have been wanting to try and utilize it in more recipes just than soup. Also been thinking of fun easy ways to get the family to … Continue reading
Seared Ribeye steak with Quinoa and fresh Rocket Salad
1 ribeye steak
2 tbsp. worcester sauce
1 tsp. fresh garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 lemon, zest
1 cup fresh rocket
1/2 cup baby spinach
1/4 red capsicum, fine dice
1/2 zucchini, julienne slice
5 basil leaves, rough rip
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. olive oil
Pinch salt and pepper
1. Season steak both sides generously with salt and pepper, rub in garlic and worcester sauce, leave to sit for 5 minutes for meat to take on flavours.
2. In a bowl combine all remaining ingredients apart from balsamic, lemon and second measure of olive oil.
3. Toss together gently, over mixing with bruise the greens.
4. Rub steak both sides in first measure of olive oil, heat fry pan nice and hot.
5. Sear steak 3 minutest each side for a medium rare finish. Rest steak for 5 minutes, this relaxes the meat and retains the juices.
6. Dress salad with balsamic and lemon zest and a good seasoning of salt and pepper, slice steak against the grain.
7. Serve your salad on a plate topped with your juicy seared steak.
Jams and Preserves
Jams and preserves are perfect ways to hold on to and eat delicious fruit and vegetables when not in season. From pickles, chutneys to jams and sauces the possibilities are endless. One thing I have just started really getting into. Yesterday I made mixed berry jam and a few weeks ago I made Heirloom Green Tomato and Ginger Chutney. I think I have the preserving bug and what a great one it is to have!
- Rhubarb, Vanilla bean and Granny Smith apple jam on the go today. Rhubarb and Granny smith apples from The Otago Farmers Market in #gigatowndunedin .
- Omega Plum and Green apple Jam
- Quince and Cranberry Jam
Check back later for the finished products and achievable recipes that anyone out there can make.