Chicken, Bacon and Leek Pie.
Everyone loves a good pie well I tell you this recipe is sure to keep your loved ones happy. Succulent juicy chicken with a delicious creamy sauce with hints of wine and almond followed by crunchy melt in your mouth pastry, you can’t beat this!
Chicken, Bacon and Leek Pot Pie
350 grams boneless chicken thigh, 3cm dice
3 rashers streaky bacon, 3 cm dice
1 tbsp. fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic, rough chop
1 1/2 tbsp. oil
1 cup leek, sliced
1 cup spinach, sliced
1/2 cup white wine
1 stock cube + 1/2 cup water
150 grams sour cream
2 tbsp. sliced almonds
salt and pepper
2x buttery pastry recipe
1 egg, beaten
2x tin foil pie tins*
- In bowl combine chicken, garlic, 1 tbsp. oil, salt and pepper. Stir and coat chicken evenly with oil.
- Heat a heavy based fry-pan to a medium heat, add remaining oil and fry bacon until browned, remove and set aside.
- Brown chicken on both sides in the pan where the bacon was cooked, once brown remove from pan.
- Add leek to the fry-pan cook for 1-2 minutes and then crumble in stock cube, followed by wine.
- Stir to remove all the goodies stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and stir through sour cream followed by chicken and bacon then spinach and almonds, set aside and allow to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees.
- Split pastry into to equal parts, dust bench and roll out. Cut two bases and two lids by placing pie tin on pastry. *as seen below
- Once cut out I give them another roll just to stretch the pastry to create an edge to seal the pie.
- Line pie tins with base pastry.
- And water to cooled chicken mix and stir well, fill pie cases evenly.
- Egg wash around the rim and seal with pastry lid, with a fork press around the edge of the pie to seal pastry together and roll over with rolling-pin to remove excess pastry.
- Poke two vent holes with a fork in the lid of the pie, generously egg wash and sprinkle with almonds and bake for 20- 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Let pie rest for 5 minutes before slicing. The extra pie could also be frozen and knock into the oven to re-heat for a speedy mid-week meal.
Makes: 2 medium size pies.
*Tin foil pie tins picked up from $2 shop, 6 for $2. These are so easy no mess no clean up, throw away after you eat. Perfect if you are making this to take to someone’s house.
Remove excess fat, dice chicken into 3cm pieces.
Dice bacon into 3 cm pieces.
Combine chicken, garlic, thyme, 1 tbsp. oil plus salt and pepper. toss until well coated.
Brown bacon, set aside.
Brown chicken, set aside.
Add leek to fry pan after chicken, cook 1-2 minutes,
Crumble in stock cube.
Deglaze with white wine.
Stir to remove the tasty bits stuck to the pan.
Add sour cream.
Followed by chicken and bacon. Stir to combine.
turn off heat, add spinach.
And almonds, stir through and set aside to cool.
Size of the tin foil pie dishes.
Lightly dust bench, remove pastry from fridge.
Divide pastry equally in half.
Roll out big enough to fit both pie tins on.
Using a sharp knife, cut around the pie tins.
Once pastry is cut, roll the pastry circle slightly larger.
Line pie tin.
Using index finger push pastry right to the edges of the tin.
Fill pie shell with cooled filling.
Generously brush the edge of the pie shell with egg wash.
Cover with the pastry lid. ( roll this out slightly larger too.)
Using a fork seal the edge of the pastry.
Remove the trim.
Poke two vent holes with a fork.
Egg wash the pie lid.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Layers of flavour.
Cut into Chunky slices and Serve.