Tart rhubarb paired along slightly sweet strawberries and orange is a combination that you don’t want to miss out on! While still on holiday I was digging through the freezer and found half a bag of frozen strawberries. So that was that time to create something with strawberries I also had some rhubarb that was about to go south so that was getting used to.
This compote is perfect topping for yogurt and muesli in the morning, mixed with whipped cream and crumbled meringues for a tasty take on eton mess. Even acts perfect as a sweet pie or crumble filling!
Check back later for; Strawberry Rhubarb and Orange Meringue Pie.
Strawberry Rhubarb and Orange Compote
2 cups frozen strawberries
1 cup rhubarb, 2.5 cm dice
1 orange juice and zest
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. cornflour
2 tbsp. cold water
- Combine strawberries, rhubarb, orange juice and zest and sugar in a medium size pot.
- Place over a low-medium heat until sugar is dissolved, simmer for 10-15 minutes until the mix is at a rapid simmer.
- Mix cornflour and water together until there are no lumps.
- Turn up the heat on the strawberry mixture to a boil, pour in cornflour slurry stirring constantly.
- Drop the heat to low and cook for 2 minutes to cook out the cornflour.
- Remove from the heat and cool. Pour into a sterilized jar or container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Makes: 2 cups
Wash and dice rhubarb to 2.5 cm
2 cups of frozen strawberries.
In pot combine strawberries, rhubarb, orange zest, juice and sugar.
Cook over a medium to high heat, don’t add any more water.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes until fruit is tender.
Bring to the boil and pour in cornflour slurry. Cook for further 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool, Pour into a sterilized jar and refrigerate for up to 4 days.