I love devilled sausages, well anything that has meat and a gravy like sauce to be honest with you! But what if you want to make your own from scratch? I have made a simple yet very satisfying alternative using venison sausages, which could easily swapped for beef finished with a thick bold gravy. I served this simple dish with some sesame cumin roast pumpkin, white rice and handful of spinach. This dinner was on the plate and ready to eat within 30 minutes of starting so it would be perfect for a week night meal!
Paprika and Capsicum Venison Sausages with Sesame Cumin Roast Pumpkin
5-8 venison sausages
3 tsp. canola oil
1 onion, sliced
1 red capsicum, 3cm chunks
1 tsp. garlic
2 tsp. smoked paprika
2 tbsp. cornflour
1/4 cup. Worchester sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 cup. water or stock
salt and pepper
Roast Sesame Pumpkin
1/2 small crown pumpkin, sliced
1 tsp, cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
2 tbsp. canola oil
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
1 tbsp. garlic, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
To serve steamed rice and 1/2 bag baby spinach
- Pre-heat oven 200 degress fan bake.
- Peel pumpkin and slice, lay out on lined roasting dish and sprinkle with cumin, coriander, sesame seeds, slat pepper and oil. Roast for 25 minutes
- Heat fry pan over medium heat, add oil and sliced onion sauté slightly and add sausage browning each side around 2 minutes on each.
- Add capsicum, garlic and paprika stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with cornflour until mixed in well.
- Combine Worchester sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and stock in a jug.
- Pour into sauces stirring well to avoid lumps, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for a further 10 minutes until thick and glossy.
- Check your seasoning, and remove pumpkin from oven this will be tender.
- Serve sausages on rice with a handful of fresh baby spinach and the roast sesame pumpkin.