My granny talked about how much she enjoys this cake when I mentioned to her I was going to bake one, I wish I could be sharing a slice with her over a cup of tea and a game of scrabble! This is a surprisingly delicious cake its very moist as you boil the sultanas they absorb water and plump up. Their is a special addition to this cake deciding to take it up a level using Equa Gold Pure Vanilla Extract. I love their products you can tell the quality of each by the outstanding flavour and smell their products give off, Dutch Cocoa is also outstanding and I really want to try their Sugar Free Drinking Chocolate! They deliver to your door which is fantastic at the moment during lock down. Most cakes call for white sugar but in this one I use raw sugar and strongly believe it makes a difference in the flavour!
You don’t need icing on this beauty plus it match’s perfect with a cup of tea even at 7 am. Another cheeky way to serve this cake is letting it cool a little out of the oven and a drizzle of pouring cream, it was so good! The cake requires a very low and slow cooking, don’t be tempted to turn the heat up as the extra sugars from the sultanas will burn, the wait is worth it!
Moist Sultana Cake
500 gm sultanas, water to cover
250 gm butter, cubed
350 gm raw sugar
3 large eggs 4 small
1 tbsp equa gold pure vanilla extract
300 gm flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees bake.
2. Line a spring form cake tin base and sides with baking paper.
3. Add sultanas to small pot and cover with water, bring to the boil and once boiling cook for 8 minutes.
4. Strain sultanas add back to pot with butter, off the heat. Leave for 5 minutes for butter to melt and sultanas to cool slightly, warm is ok.
5. In another bowl beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla, once this is combine add the sultanas in 2 halves and stir well to avoid scrambling the eggs if its a bit hot.
6. Add sifted flour, baking soda and salt, fold through until you have a glossy batter.
7. Pour into cake tin and bake for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, depending on your oven.Check with sharp knife it it comes out clean its cooked, always check the center of the cake.
Serves: 10-12 slices
Serving suggestion: Warm with pouring cream or just as is with a cup of tea.
Leave a Reply