A classic in New Zealand is onion dip made with Maggi onion soup mix, reduced cream and malt vinegar and is known in many households throughout New Zealand.
This dinner uses to key ingredients from the kiwi classic dip and turned it into the base for a homely chicken pie topped with potato and cheese this will go down swimmingly. You could even top the top with mashed kumara or pumpkin that would be very tasty, I might make that next time. Serve with steamed vegetables or side salad like I have.
Homely Chicken Potato Pot Pie
500-700 gm diced chicken
3 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tin reduced cream
1 packet maggi onion soup
1/2 cup water
2 cups frozen mixed vege
3 large potatoes, peeled
50 gm butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup grated cheese
salt and pepper
1x chicken stock cube or 1 tsp powder
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees bake.
2. Peel potatoes, dice into same size chunks, add 1/2 tsp salt to water and cook until tender, once cooked drain mash and add butter, milk and seasoning.
3. Heat fry pan over medium-high heat, add oil garlic and chicken with good sprinkle of salt and pepper.
4. Brown for 4 minutes and then turn the chicken cook for a further 4 minutes.
5. Add mustard, crumble stock cube, onion soup and reduced cream. Lower the heat and stir to combine it will thicken slightly add the 1/4 cup water and mixed vegetables.
6. Once well combined add chicken to your casserole/oven proof dish. top with potato and sprinkle with cheese.
7. Bake for 40 minutes, serve with steamed vegetables or nice salad.