Happy Thursday everyone hope you are all enjoying the sunshine on this fine autumn day. I’ve spent this morning trialing a new cake recipe using up the last of my homemade yoghurt before I make a new batch and I had a couple of over ripe bananas. Have you ever tried making yoghurt at home? I use my favorite yoghurt in this cake the thick and creamy vanilla base by Hansells, it is amazing! You don’t have to have homemade yoghurt for this recipe though any plain or vanilla yoghurt works great.
I wanted to try using something a little different in this recipe so I added a combination of cinnamon and cardamon and wow does it taste good! I finished the cake with a brown sugar butter cream and well I can say it went down very well for morning tea with my bubble.
Banana and Cardamom Yoghurt Cake with Brown Sugar Buttercream
3 cup plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
3/4 tsp cardamon, ground
1/2 cup vanilla or plain yoghurt- I make my own using Hansells extra thick and creamy vanilla yogburt base it is amazing!
1/4 cup rice bran oil
2 x bananas, mashed
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
Brown Sugar Butter Cream
100 gm butter, soft
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup icing sugar,
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees bake.
2. Sift together all dry ingredients apart from the brown sugar, give this a stir once sifted.
3. In a separate bowl combine all remaining ingredients, stir well to combine and fold through the dry ingredients. Once mixed and no flour remains, pour into lined spring form round cake tin 20-23 cm in size.
4. Bake for 55 minutes in the middle shelf of your oven, you don;t want it to high as it will burn. Check the cake with a knife if comes out clean it is cooked. If not cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Allow cake to fully cool.
6. To make the icing use a electric hand mixer or a stand mixer, combine all the ingredients for the icing but make sure you sift the icing sugar to prevent lumps.
7. Whisk for 3-4 minutes until fully and it should be lighter than when you started. Cover the cake and enjoy
Serves: 10-12 large slices