This dinner dish came about when I was hunting in the freezer, a while ago I had brought some potato gems in the freezer section at the supermarket with having no idea what to do with them then. But now I have made a very very simple dinner its a nacho/Mexican inspired shepherds pie with very basic amount of ingredients and very affordable to make. This recipe would be great for the kids to help with or young one that is keen on getting in the kitchen and giving something new ago.
The topping I sprinkled over once cooked was a combination of spring onion and Italian parsley, you could you curly parsley or even chives and would be delicious served with sour cream. I served ours up with a very simple salad i literally think if was 3 things avo, lettuce and tomatoes from the garden. Its my last plant that is still going strong out there. The generous sprinkling of Mrs Rogers garlic salt goes crunchy when baked and adds the best flavour to the cheesy potato gem layer, when you purchase any of their spices they come with a wooden peg to put over to keep them fresh.
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp crushed garlic
500 gm beef mince
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1x can chili beans, choose your spice
4 tbsp tomato chutney or sauce
1x packet pams potato gems
1 cup grated cheese
1 tbsp Mrs Rogers garlic salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees fan bake.
2. Heat heavy based fry pan on a medium to high heat for around 2-3 minutes to ensure its nice and hot.
3. Add oil, onion and garlic fry for 2-3 minutes, now add the beef mince in smallish chunks to brown, leave for 4-5 minutes, turn over and repeat. Then brake up with the back of your stirring spoon.
4. Now its time to add the cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, chutney and can of chili beans. Mix well and add to your casserole or baking dish.
5. Time to arrange the top with the potato gems, grated cheese and that generous sprinkle of mrs rogers garlic salt.
6. Bake for 30 minutes.
Leave a Reply