Craving a sweet treat and instead of wanting a piece chocolate like usual I decided to create something yummy for you all, but really myself!
I should be gluten free but I am a bit naughty and eat gluten more than I should however this recipe can be made gluten-free or not so everyone will be happy. Even if you gave the gluten free version a go im sure you would be pleasantly surprised how good it actually is. This caramel slice would be perfect as a gift as well!
Gluten Free Caramel Slice
1 1/2 cup gluten free or plain flour
3/4 cup coconut
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
180 gm butter, melted
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tin condense milk
30 gm butter
140 gm chocolate drops
70 gm butter
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 bake.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, coconut, brown sugar and stir well to combine and remove lumps with hands if any.
3. Add first measure of melted butter and stir well, turn into a lined 25 cm square slice tin and press down. Bake for 12 minutes.
4. In heavy based saucepan combine butter, golden syrup, salt and butter. Heat over a medium to low heat stiring constantly to avoid catching however if it does catch it is not the end of the world if its brown. I stirred and cooked mine until thickened slightly.
5. Pour caramel over base and bake for a further 15 minutes, remove and allow to cool.
6. Combine chocolate and last measure of butter, melt together and stir until last lumps of butter are gone. If not give another 30 seconds and stir again, tip over the cooled caramel and leave to set.
7. Cut with a sharp knife, 4×5 and enjoy.
Makes 20x squares