Its a week of use what we have in the freezer and pantry this week. So had a pack of pork sausages and decided to change it up from the usual devilled sausages even though they are an all time fave of mine! Pretty simple recipe really served mine with hokkien noodles just added to hot water for 2 minutes.
Sweet and Sour Sausages
6-8 pork sausages, cut in half
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 brown onion, chunky dice
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 orange or red capsicum, chunky dice
1 cup. kumara, small dice
1 1/2 carrots, cut on a angle or rings
3/4 cup. pineapple chunks, keep juice
3 tbsp. tomato sauce
1 tbsp. cornflour
1/4 cup. white vinegar
1/4 cup. brown sugar
1 tbsp. soya sauce
3/4 cup. pineapple juice, use from the tin
salt and pepper
2x pack hokkien noodles
- Heat oil in pan and add onions and garlic, brown for 2 minutes and add sausages.
- Cook for around 10 minutes over medium heat turning occasionally, add capsicum.
- Place medium pot of hot water on to boil, add carrots and kumara and cook until tender around 8 minutes, remove and add to sausages with 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Keep the remaining water to heat the noodles.
- In small bowl combine tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, soya sauce, pineapple juice and 1/4 cup. water. In a separate bowl make a slurry of 1 tbps. cornflour with 1 tbsp. water stir well and add to the sauce base, stir to combine.
- Add noodles to boil water and heat for 2 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Stir in sauce to sausage base and add pineapple chunks, season and cook out until sauce has thickened around 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over hot noodles or steamed rice.