Bananas are one of the easiest fruit to get your hands on which is great for cake making. Sometimes the kids don’t eat them and they get squished, brown in their school bags or the fruit bowl. Over ripe brown bananas are the best for banana cakes as they get a little sweeter. One of my top berries is blueberries fresh or frozen and they go insanely good with bananas. We were wanting to change the humble banana cake up slightly so I added some blueberries and finished with the easiest vanilla cream cheese icing. The man of the house is very happy he has a sweet treat going into the lunch box this week.
Blueberry Banana Cake
125 gm. butter, softened
1/2 cup. brown sugar
1/4 cup. white sugar
4 ripe bananas
1 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. milked, warmed
2 cup. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup. blueberries
Cream Cheese Icing
125 gm. cream cheese
1 1/2 cup. icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degress.
- Cream butter, sugar in bowl or stand mixer until it is soft and pale, scrap down the sides.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time followed by the banana. I don’t mash this before hand because it has more texture in my opinion.
- Add baking soda to the warmed milk and stir. Sift flour and baking powder into bowl and add the warm milk mixture.
- Give a light stir, fold in blueberries and pour into lined cake tin. Don’t over stir as it will make the cake go blue.
- Bake for 45 minutes until skewer comes out clean, allow to cool.
- In stand mixer or with electric beater, add cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla to bowl and beat for 2 minutes then scrap down sides and beat for 1 more minute.
- Cover your cake and enjoy.
Serves: 10-12 slices