It was the first day of winter yesterday here in New Zealand and its a season I don’t overly enjoy. However one of the highlights of this cold season is the comfort food that comes along with it. As im sitting here writing this post I’ve just enjoyed a nice hot bowl of pumpkin, corn and bacon chowder which I will be sharing with you soon.
Beef Strog is something that has warmed up to me as I have grown older, but now I highly enjoy the dish and decided to whip one up for our lunch yesterday and a easy recipe for all of you.
1 red onion, sliced
1 tsp. garlic
200gm meadow mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp. smoked paprika
2 tbsp. butter
500gm beef stir-fry
6 tbsp. canola oil
salt and pepper
70gm tomato paste
3/4 cup gherkins, sliced
250gm sour cream
1/2 cup. cream
1 tbsp. sugar
Rice or pasta to serve
- Heat fry pan over high heat add 2 tbsp. oil.
- Coat stir-fry beef with salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
- Fry beef in two batches to achieve nice brown colour around 2 minutes each side, once browned put in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in your fry pan add onions and garlic, cook for 2 minutes then add mushrooms and butter cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add gherkins, tomato paste, cream and sour cream stir well, add beef and its juices.
- Cook for a further 10minutes add sugar and check seasoning.
- Serve with rice or cooked pasta.