Gluten-free baking can most of the time be deemed as dry and unpleasant however I have managed to make not only as gluten-free cake be moist and satisfying but also dairy-free. If you use a simple vanilla icing sugar and water icing instead of the lime cream cheese icing it will be both gluten and dairy free however this time I covered mine in lime cream cheese icing. This is a simple plain cake recipe with some Feijoa and apple compote added with some diced dates for added texture. Topped with a generous amount of lime cream cheese icing these are a perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee.
Gluten- Free Feijoa and Apple Loafs with Lime Cream Cheese Icing
2 1/2 cup. gluten-free flour
3/4 cup. caster sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
100ml canola oil
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
1/4 cup. dates, chopped
1 cup feijoa and apple compote
Lime Cream Cheese Icing
3 cup. icicng sugar, sifted
250gm cream cheese
1/2 lime zest and juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180 fan bake.
- Sift gluten-free flour, baking soda, caster sugar and cinnamon into a bowl and whisk in water, oil, cider vinegar until you have a smooth batter.
- Stir in 1 cup of Feijoa and apple compote and chopped dates.
- Spray silicon mini loaf tin with rice bran or canola oil.
- Fill with 1/2 cup of batter and bake for 26 minutes until tested with a skewer and it comes out clean. If you only had one loaf tin like I did you can bake the other half once the 1st batch is cooked or make in a muffin tin.
- Combine cream cheese, sifted icing sugar, zest and juice of half a lime.
- Whisk in stand mixer for 1 -2 minutes until thick and fluffy.
- Top your cakes and enjoy
Makes: 10-12 mini loafs or muffins
You can garnish further with a thin slice of feijoa and lime zest.