Weekends call for something sweet don’t they? Well I have to agree to that, they do! Not just your average cinnamon roll but jumbo size, soft and fluffy homemade dough layered with cinnamon and brown sugar baked until sticky and topped with vanilla glaze.
Jumbo Cinnamon Rolls
4 1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 tbsp. active instant yeast
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
75gm butter, melted
150gm butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
2 cup icing sugar
4 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to 100 degrees for 15 minutes then turn off.
- Heat milk for 40 seconds in microwave until warmed not to hot, sprinkle over the yeast and allow to sit for 5 minutes until frothy.
- In a stand mixer bowl add eggs, sugar, salt and melted butter.
- Pour in yeast/milk mixture followed by flour and salt.
- Using a dough hook mix for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
- Spray an oven proof bowl with oil spray and place the dough in the center, your dough will be slightly sticky but not runny if so add 1/4 cup more flour and mix in.
- I spray the top of the dough lightly with oil to prevent it from getting a crust, glad wrap the bowl and cover with a towel.
- Place in the warm oven for 45 minutes until dough has doubled in size. If you have a warm house you can leave it on the bench but this was a great way to speed up the proving process.
- Remove from oven the dough should have doubled in size.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees fan forced.
- Dust the bench with flour and “knock your dough back” this means hitting the air out of it. Turn the dough out onto the floured bench and press out into a large rectangle about 2cm thick, You could use a rolling pin but with this soft dough I find hands is much easier.
- Now combine the filling mixture to form a paste spread all over the dough and now roll up tightly.
- Once you have the roll, line baking tray and cut the roll into 8 even pieces, place them close together on the tray and bake for 28 minutes until brown and golden.
- Allow to cool slightly and combine all ingredients for the glaze and drizzle over the rolls.
Serves: 8, best served warm from the oven.