Autmun weather has graced us now in Canterbury and with that comes the last of the black boy peaches I forage from the redzone here in Christchurch. Also was given some beautiful large apples from my partners family in Darfeild.
I have a small obsession with different types of slices at the moment and decided a shortcake would be a nice thing to bake but changing the usual filling of stewed apple to a combination of black boy peaches and apples. If you can’t however get your hands on blackbooy peaches then normal golden peaches are fine.
Blackboy Peach and Apple Shortcake
230gm butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
3 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup stewed blackboy peach and apple
Blackboy Peach and Apple
1/2 cup water
6 black boy peaches
2 large green apples
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degress bake.
- In heavy based saucer add water, roughly chopped peaches and diced apple leaving the skin on. bring to boil and simmer for 15minutes until fruit is soft and tender. Stir often to avoid the fruit from catching.
- Allow to cool.
- In bowl combine sugar and softened butter, cream together with your hand and stir in eggs until well creamed.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix until crumbly dough is formed.
- Line baking dish with baking paper and press 3/4 of the base into the tin.
- Spread over stewed fruit, crumble over remaining shortcake mixture and press down.
- Bake for 40minutes until golden brown.
- Serve cold by itself or warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
Leave a Reply