Layered with chocolate and tart plum, this cake is a show stopping treat and must make for anyone! Summer is here and the amazing produce that it brings is here too! However it is coming to an end so are the rays of beautiful sunshine, lets make the most of it and get ahold of some seasonal summer plums.
The base to this cake is vegan and if you substitute the butter for margarine in the icing the cake will be fully vegan and even the non vegans will be happy!
Chocolate Plum Layer Cake
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
2 cup cold water
2 tbsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 cups plums, sliced
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
200gm butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp water
- Pre-heat oven 180 degrees bake.
- Line two sponge tins with baking paper.
- Sift all dry ingredients into bowl, whisk in oil, vanilla essence, vinegar and water. Whisk well to combine and no lumps in the batter.
- Pour batter evenly over both tins and scatter plums over both tins.
- Bake for 45minutes until cake springs back when touched.
- Allow to cool
- Soften butter, in a stand bowl sift icing sugar and cocoa add softened butter and vanilla essence. Beat until light and fluffy around 3-4minutes.
- Turn one cake out of the tin and spread with icing, place second cake on top and spread remanding icing.
- Decorate with cut plum, thread coconut and ground chocolate oreos.
Serves: 8-10 slices