Everyone thinks Gluten-free must be try and unappealing to non gluten-free people. Well that’s where we need to start changes our views and opening our minds. Here is a very soft and fluffy gluten-free scone recipe. I had a few things to use up in the fridge so I changed them from a plain scone to a bubble and squeak version. You could add anything you desire to herbs, spinach or rocket even top with cream cheese and sweet chili for a delicious take on these.
You can eat these scones by themselves or with a generous spread of butter. Another vey tasty suggestion is cutting them in half and spreading with basil pesto fresh spinach and avocado. Let you imagination decided.
3 1/2 cups gluten-free self raising flour
2 dessert spoon baking powder
2 1/2 cups of grated cheese tasty, cheedar or Colby or a mixture
1/4 red onion, finely diced
1 corn cob, shucked see pictures for reference
1 cup dice ham or bacon
100gm butter, melted
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- Pre-heat oven top 190 degress fan bake.
- In a large mixing bowl combine self raising flour,baking powder, salt, pepper, 1 1/2 cups grated cheese, corn onion ham and any extras you want to add. Stir to combine well.
- Add melted butter and buttermilk, stir and combine.
- Line baking tray with baking paper, now to shape your scones this is a wetter mixture than your normal scone dough so I oil my hands first and shape the scones into about a cup size ball.
- You should get 7-8 scones depending on how large you make yours, don’t flatten them to much as they will spread with cooking.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake for 26 minutes until golden and puffy.
Serving: 7-8 large scones
Cool serve with butter, alongside your favorite soup like I did or even spread with pesto and top with fresh spinach and avocado the possibilities are endless. ENJOY