Its been a longtime since I have posted on here. Its been a busy start to the year and now its already May! I don’t know where the first four months of the year have gone but I can defiantly say that the years are going faster and faster!
Its getting colder in New Zealand now as winter is approaching we get a great variety of produce available as the seasons change. Ive had great fun in the kitchen photographing and testing some new recipes for the blog. Coconut and Mango Passion Cheesecakes, Feijoa and Apple Crumble, Rhubarb, Vanilla Bean and Granny Smith Preserve plus some great savory dishes . Butternut Squash Cheese Bake, Sole with Capers and Shallots in Brown Butter the list goes on. Now I better get typing so you all can enjoy these tasty items to !
Feijoa and Apple Crumble
Feijoa is such a unique flavour which i really love and something i get very excited about once they come into season. Here is a super simple and fast recipe for feijoa and apple crumble with fresh custard.
5 feijoas, peeled and sliced
2 apples, cut into 3 cm chunk (skin on)
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup brown sugar
130gm butter, melted
1/2 tsp cinnamon
20gm custard powder
30gm white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine sliced feijoa, apple, sugar and water in a medium size pot bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes until feijoa’s are soft and apple is tender.
- Pour into oven proof dish.
- Make the crumble topping by combining all ingredients and stiring well, top the stewed fruit evenly with crumble mix.
- Bake for 20minutes until golden and bubbling.
- While the crumble is baking make the custard.
- Combine custard powder, sugar and a small amount of milk in a bowl to form a smooth paste, whisk in remaining milk and transfer to a pot.
- bring to the boil and stir until thick.
- Remove crumble from oven and serve with hot custard and ice cream if you dare.
Leave a Reply