Are you stuck on what to make for dessert in these cold months. Well do I have the one for you. Warming ginger poached pears with cinnamon and lemon served with creamy vanilla ice-cream and syrup. This is a great dessert with not much fuss. I love ginger and it goes perfectly with the pears and bonus clears any unwanted colds.
Ginger Poached Pears with Almond
3 brown pears
1 cup sugar
2 ltr. water
¼ cup shaved root ginger
½ cinnamon stick
Peel of 1 lemon
4 tbsp. sliced almonds
vanilla ice-cream to serve
- In a medium size deep pot combine sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon stick, and water.
- Peel and core pears, add to pot, cover with circle of baking paper. *see pic below
- Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer for 25-35 minutes until pears are tender will splice of a knife when tested. (you can think a poached pear is cooked but when you cool it can be hard so make sure they are cooked properly.)
- Split syrup in half and reduce by half or until thickened slightly.
- Strain and remove all ginger shavings, they will be used to garnish.
- Serve warm pear with vanilla ice cream, reduced poaching syrup, poached ginger shavings and sprinkle of sliced almonds.