This recipe for salted caramel only calls for 5 ingredients and is pretty easy to make. Great for sundaes, cupcake filling, milkshakes anything you can dream of you can use it in.
I made banana and salted caramel filo pastries finished with walnuts, mascarpone and a dusting of cinnamon.
Perfect for a late night sugar hit on a quiet Friday night.
1 250 g can condense milk
5 tbsp. golden syrup
1 tsp. vanilla essence
50g butter, cubed
1 tsp flaky sea salt or 1/2 tsp table salt
- In a small pot combine condense milk, golden syrup and vanilla. Heat over a low to medium heat until well combined, bring to a simmer constantly stirring to avoid burning.
- After 2 minutes add cubed butter stir in until well combine, add salt and stir well.
- Cook until the mixture thickens around 5-8 minutes, still stirring constantly.
- You will know the caramel is done when it coats the back of a spoon and when you run your finger through doesn’t run. *see picture below.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or eaten!
Makes: 1 cup salted caramel