Not your usual filo filling but hey I love to live on the wild side and experiment with new things! It was my first time making Salted Caramel and I had a heap of over ripe bananas and left over filo pastry. So I thought why not sounds like a tasty combination of flavour.
Boy was I right!! Salty sweet caramel with soft banana, crunchy light filo casing and toasted walnuts with smooth creamy mascarpone with was an easy tasty dessert!!
Banana and Salted Caramel Filo Pastries
3 over ripe bananas
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 heaped dessert spoons of salted caramel
8 sheets filo pastry
200g butter, melted
50g walnuts, roughly chopped
cinnamon for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Line large baking tray with baking paper or a silicon mat.
- Combine banana and cinnamon in small bowl, mash with a fork.
- Take filo pastry lay it out flat and cover with a damp cloth. (This prevents it from dry and cracking which makes it hard to use!)
- Take two sheets of filo pastry, cover the remaining. Lye it down flat, brush evenly with melted butter, fold in half vertically.
- Place two heaped spoonfuls of mashed banana in the let hand corner of the folded pastry followed a heaped dessert spoon of salted caramel.
- Brush around the mixture with a little butter.
- Fold the parcel in a triangle over to the left and repeat folding until you have a small strip left, brush with melted butter and seal. Place seal side down on baking tray.
- Repeat until mixture and filo pastry is used up.
- Brush all finished triangle pastry parcels with butter and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with mascarpone and a dusting of cinnamon.
Makes: 4 filo triangles
Leave a Reply