I’m on holiday at the moment and a great way that I pass time is to get in the kitchen and get creating!
I’ve had a bag of buckwheat in the cupboard for quiet awhile now and thought it was about time to crack into it and make something. I made a couple of jars of lemon honey a recipe of my granny’s and thought it would be great to incorporate that into the dish i was making. So that’s when i decided it was time for afternoon pancakes. Pancakes are great you can have them for breakfast, lunch or dinner with what ever toppings you like sweet or savory.
Here is a great Gluten-Free recipe for fluffy delicious pancakes, you wouldn’t even realize that they are gluten-free.
Vanilla Buckwheat Pancakes with Lemon Honey, Greek Yoghurt and Almonds
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup gluten-free flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1/2-3/4 cup trim milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
4 tbsp. canola oil
50g butter, cubed
Greek unsweetened yoghurt
- In medium size bowl sieve dry ingredients, make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl whisk together milk, egg and vanilla.
- Whisk liquid into dry ingredients until there are no lumps.
- Heat non-stick fry pan over a medium to low heat, add a cube of butter and a tsp of oil.
- Pour in 1 ladle of pancake batter cook for around 1-2 minutes each side.
- Flip pancake when bubbles in batter are starting to burst, Keep pancakes warm in 100 degree oven until the batter is all gone.
- Layer pancakes and smear with lemon honey, stack and top with big dollop of unsweetened yoghurt and more lemon honey plus crunchy sliced almonds.
Makes: 5-6 medium pancakes