What to do when life gives you lots of lemons? Well dust of Granny Newell’s Lemon Honey recipe of course. Tangy sweet lemon honey is perfect spread on toast or crumpets, a tsp. in hot water on a cold winter day?
I layered hot pancakes with lemon honey and served them with unsweetened greek yogurt and almonds, it was utter bliss!
4 lemons, zest and juice
100g unsalted butter, cubed
3/4 cup caster sugar
4 egg yolks
2x Small Sterilized Jars
- In small pot combine finely grated lemon zest, juice, sugar and butter. Heat over a low heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolved.
- In a metal bowl whisk egg yolks, remove lemon mixture from heat and pour gently into the egg yolks whisking constantly.
- Once well incorporated pour back into pot and heat on low.
- Stirring constantly until mixture thickens, check picture below for consistency. (DO NOT BOIL)
- Pour hot lemon honey into hot sterilized jars and seal with lid or preserve covers see steps below.
- Once cool label and store in fridge.
Keeps for 1 month refrigerated