A day that marks the end of another week. I have been pretty busy over the last week and haven’t been posting much at all lately. So I decided it was about time to get back into it. With the rain clouds hanging around and friends craving something sweet I thought of what I loved as a kid and when i think about it one of the top things would have to be mums chocolate caramel slice!!
Caramel slice is New Zealand favourite found in many grandparents recipe books it brings back memories for all.
Heres an easy recipe for chocolate caramel slice from my family to yours.
Chocolate Caramel Slice
175g butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. cocoa
1 1/2 375g cans sweetened condensed milk
5 tbsp. golden syrup
30g butter, cubed
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
3 tbsp. cocoa, sifted
2-3 tbsp boiling water
1 tsp butter, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Line medium deep rectangular baking dish with baking paper.
- In stand mixer bowl combine softened butter and sugar, beat for 5 minutes until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add beaten egg and beat until combined.
- Sift in flour, cocoa and baking soda beat for 1 minute until well combined.
- Pour into lined baking dish, press evenly over the base, dock with a fork and bake for 15 minutes.
- In a small pot combine condense milk and golden syrup. Cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes until well combined.
- Whisk in cubes of butter, until incorporated, cook for 2 minutes until mixture thickens stirring so the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Remove base from oven, pour over caramel and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until the caramel is lightly browned and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Once slice is cool in a small bowl combine icing sugar, cocoa, melted butter and hot water. stir with a fork until thick spreadable consistency is reached. ( you don’t want it to runny.)
- Pour chocolate icing onto the cooled slice evenly smooth it over and allow to set before cutting.