Creating healthy dinners is always something I enjoy doing. Making something tasty yet healthy and satisfying don’t always go hand in hand. However I think I may have just discovered a recipe that achieves all of that.
This is a great recipe suitable for all ages its a great gluten-free way to have dinner.
My girlfriends where coming over for dinner, they are both fit and healthy young women who enjoy good food. I was thinking something fun interactive and had a lot of flavour, I had made these before but a Asian inspired version with sticky soy and hoisin pork mince.
Polenta crumbed crunchy chicken lettuce cups with chipotle tomato salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cinnamon pickled red onions and slice of fresh lime
1 kg boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
4 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. oregano
1 tbsp. garlic granules
salt and pepper
5 tbsp. canola oil
1/2 cup fine polenta
1 iceberg lettuce
cinnamon pickled onions
4 tomatoes, core removed chunky dice
1/4 cup. fresh coriander, rough chop
3 spring onions, finely sliced
1 tbsp. peanut oil
1/2 tsp chipotle sauce
1/2 zest and juice lemon
1 lime, cut into wedges
lite sour cream to serve
- In a bowl add sliced chicken followed by cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and oil. Toss until chicken is well coated, refrigerate overnight for best flavour results.
- The next day; Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees fan bake.
- Remove every lettuce leaf as intact as possible from your iceberg lettuce, rinse and set aside.
- Combine chunky diced tomatoes, spring onions, 3 tbsp. fresh coriander, zest and juice of lemon, chipotle sauce, peanut oil and a good seasoning of salt and pepper. Stir well to combine, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Pour polenta into a rectangle dish. Remove chicken from the refrigerator and tip into polenta. Toss and coat evenly.
- Place coated chicken onto a lightly oiled tray and bake until golden brown, around 30-45 minutes.
- In bowl combine avocado, salt, pepper, squeeze lime juice and 1 tbsp. fresh coriander. Stir and mash, check seasoning.
- Arrange salsa, sour cream, pickled onions, limes, lettuce leafs and guacamole in different bowls. Add spoons to each so I makes it an interactive dinner for all.
- Place chicken into a bowl and sit down at the table and enjoy.
Would you like the recipe for my special cinnamon pickled onions or oven baked kumara chips??