Homemade Vanilla Marshmallow topped with chopped nuts and melted chocolate. This is such an easy recipe for a wee sweet treat kids and adults will enjoy plus its better than any store brought ones.
Homemade Vanilla Marshmallow
1/4 cup powder gelatin or *agar agar
3/4 cup cold water
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup cold water
3 egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla essence or any flavoring
1/4 cup corn flour
3/4 cup icing sugar
4 dessert spoons of chopped nuts
50 grams milk chocolate, melted
- Spray to high edge baking dishes with no-stick spray follow by baking paper.
- Combine corn flour and icing sugar in a bowl, mix evenly and place in a sieve.
- Evenly dust the lined baking dishes with the icing sugar mix.
- Place gelatin or agar agar in bowl, pour over first measure of cold water and stir to dissolve set aside.
- In a medium size saucepan place sugar followed by second measure of water. Cook on a medium heat, DO NOT STIR for around 5-8 minutes until the sugar is rapidly bubbling and has reached 110 degrees on a cooking thermometer. Turn off the heat.
- Place egg whites in a clean stand mixer and whisk until reached soft peak, turn mixer speed to low and slowly pour in the gelatin mixture.
- Cover the Mixer with a tea towel and whisk on high for 10 minutes until the mixing bowl is luke warm.
- Add essence and food colouring if you wish, whisk until combined.
- Pour liquid marshmallow into lined tins and leave uncovered for around 2-3 hours until set.
- Dust a bench in the corn flour/icing sugar mix and turn out marshmallow, it might need help getting out f the tin, using the edge of a spatula just nudge the marshmallow away from the edge and should fall out.
- Dust in icing sugar mix and using a sharp hot knife cut into squares dust each in sugar and enjoy.
You can you these homemade marshmallows instead of store brought ones next time you have a bomb fire or go camping.
You can colour and flavour your marshmallow however you like, why not try:
Mocha Marshmallow: 1 tbsp. instant coffee + 1 tbsp. cocoa mixed with 1 tbsp. hot water.
Raspberry: adding 1 tbsp. raspberry essence.
* agar agar is a vegetarian substitute for gelatin, buy it in the powdered form and use the same as powdered gelatin.