Cinnamon Apple and Lemon Velvet Cake
Here is a heart stopping recipe for a mouth melting cinnamon apple and lemon velvet cake. Soft cinnamon apples with melting lemon cake and a drizzle of tangy lemon icing, you can’t beat this moist velvet cake. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon tea with friends or a rest for the family. This cake is delicious served warm from the oven with a drizzle of tangy lemon icing.
1 1/2 cup white flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
250 ml water
1 tbsp. vanilla essence
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 lemon, zest
2 large granny smith apples, peel, core and 3 cm dice
1 tbsp. golden syrup
1 tsp. cinnamon
50gm butter, melted
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees, line small cake tin and large muffin tin (6) with baking paper and light coating of oil to elemental the cake sticking.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk until the dry ingredients is evenly mixed, this is also aerating your dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients, in a jug whisk together oil, water, vanilla and vinegar. Pour into the well, whisk in a figure 8 pattern until just mixed through. (over mixing makes the cake tough.)
- Combine apples, cinnamon, golden syrup and butter in a bowl toss so all apple is coated.
- Line cake and muffin tins with cinnamon apples, place pour over cake batter and bake cake for 30-35 minutes and muffin size for 18-20 minutes until golden brown, test with a knife to see if cooked. (when knife comes out clean its cooked.)
- Cool in tin, the cake will drop dramatically in size but don’t worry this is how it’s supposed to be. Run knife around the edge of the cakes and flip upside down onto a cooling rack, remove baking paper.
- Combine icing sugar and lemon juice plus 4 tbsp. boiling water, stir until runny.
- Drizzle over warm cakes and serve with unsweetened plain yoghurt or on its own.
Makes: 6 mini cakes and 1 small cake
Leave a Reply