Kale is thriving at the moment and there are many types purple, curly, mini and a relative to kale which is delicous is Cavelo Nero. Today I have used Cavolo Nero with my Pork and Apples. It has the texture of cabbage and when sautéed retains its flavour well. The leeks and kale I purchased from the Tokoroa Community Garden, the leeks were $2 for 3 and a whole bag of kale or Cavelo Nero for $4 this is such a bargain and great way to give back to your community by supporting them and getting your weekly veges from them. They taste better and are much cheaper than any supermarket!!!
Pork schnitzel with sautéed apple, leek and cavelo nero
3 pork schnitzel, seasoned both sides
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 granny smith apple, cored and thinly slice
2 small leeks, wash and slice into batons
3 cavolo nero leaves, stems removed from stalk and rinsed
1 clove garlic
zest 1 lemon
- Heat Oven to 100 degrees.
Heat a large heavy based fry pan to a medium heat. add 1 tbsp. oil to the seasoned pork, make sure it has a light coating on each side.
- Place schnitzel in fry pan. (you should hear them sizzle)
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on either side until nicely browned, remove from pan and place on a plate, cover with tin foil and place in the oven to keep warm while making the apple and leek.
- In the pan you have just cooked the pork in, sauté apple, leek and garlic until browned and tender around 4-5 minutes make sure this doesn’t burn.
- Rip cavelo nero into small pieces.
- Add cavelo nero and 50ml water to the apple mixture and stir, cook until cavelo nero is wilted. ( this deglazes the pan and gets all the delicious flavour into a wee sauce.
- Serve pork upon the beautiful savory sweet apple and leeks, sprinkle with lemon zest and serve.
Serves: 3 however just double the recipe to feed more.
You might want to serve something else along side your pork and apples like mashed potatoes or kumara, steamed carrots and broccoli. I would love to see photos if you recreate this dish.