Rhubarb Vanilla Bean and Granny Smith Apple Jam
Simple Easy and tastes out of this world. Sweet Vanilla notes with bursts of apple and tangy sweet rhubarb. Perfect on a hot scone, toast, served on ice-cream or even folded through plain yoghurt the possibility’s are endless!
500 grams rhubarb, washed and cut 2 cm chunks
500 grams green apples, peeled, cored and cut into 2cm chunks
880 grams white sugar
1 vanilla bean, split in half
1 lemon, juiced
250 ml water
- Combine rhubarb, apple, lemon juice and water in a heavy based sauce pan.
- Over a simmer stew fruit to release natural juices, then bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Gradually poor in sugar and dissolve, bring to the simmer and cook for 45 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Test jam with the frozen plate test to see if its ready for bottling, remove from the boil every time you test..
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal while hot. Once cool date label, and maybe decorate adding a personal touch.