Quick and Easy Cupboard Keeper- Green Tomato and Ginger Chutney
The house filled with sweet smells of ginger and apple , tangy notes of vinegar and chili one way to entice the neighbour’s with this delicious aroma wafting out of the house.
1.5kg heirloom green tomatoes, diced
3 tsp. fresh root ginger, grated
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red capsicum, sliced
2 green apples, cored and sliced
1 3/4 cup. white vinegar
1 3/4 cup. brown sugar
3 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
- With a stick blender, blitz hot mix until slightly smooth, you want some lumps of tomato and apple to give it texture and body.
- Sterilize 5-6 medium jars and lids.
- Place hot jars on a tea towel, fill with hot chutney, clean the rim of the jar and seal while hot.
- Cool on a wire rack, then place in the cupboard. (don’t forget to date the jars)
- Last for up to 3 months in dry, cool cupboard and up to 3 weeks refrigerated after opening.
Perfect for serving on a cracker with cheese, folded through plain rice for a tasty change. Great to gift to friends or family.
Let me know how your chutney making went.